Nominations were reviewed on the basis of quality of impact, level of innovation/fresh approaches to problem solving, quality of achievement, quality of the evidence provided and sustainability in building the capacity of future generation to meet their own needs. The scores were then tallied and the best 10 listed ;
|Laureate at Commonwealth Regional Consultation, Tanzania|
2. Ms.Agwenjang Patience Ngonwei-Cameroon
3. Ms.Foglabenchi Lily Haritu-Cameroon
4. Mr.Kisirisa Muhammed- Uganda
5. Mr.Ngasa Wise Nzikie-Cameroon
6. Mr.Numfor Alenwi Munteh-Cameroon (founder and E.D of CASD)
7. Mr.Isaiah Owolabi- Nigeria
8. Ms. Ellen Daphine Chilemba-Malawi
9. Mr.Salu Oluwamayowa Adepeju-Nigeria
10. Mr. Derreck Charway-Ghana
The Commonwealth Youth Award for Excellence in Development Work is designed to help celebrate the role of young people as nation builders and partners in development. The Awards offer young people aged between 15 and 29 an opportunity to share their contribution and inspire others to get involved.
Nominees win international recognition and support for their development project. Four awards will be presented regionally, with the top entrant from each region receiving a pan-Commonwealth award. The regional award winners will receive a £1,000 grant, a trophy and a certificate. A Regional Award will be presented to the best of the four awardees in each region. A Pan-Commonwealth Award will be best of the 4 Regional Award Winners.
The Awards are run by the Commonwealth Youth Programme at the Commonwealth Secretariat and are given to outstanding young people working to:
1. promote youth participation in decision-making;
2. promote the economic empowerment of young people;
3. take action for equality between young men and women;
4. promote peaceful and democratic environments in which human rights flourish;
5. provide quality education for all
6. improve access to information and communication technology;
7. promote health, development and values through sports and culture; and
8. Engage young people to protect the environment.